The hubs and I embarked on a new adventure this summer. We flipped a house. There were so many projects here I can't even begin to post it all in one post. There are going to be a few “How Tos” from this series. Nothing to construction focused. Just a few DIY projects that could help you in your home. The hubs and I don't put ourself out there as experts. We are not. We have learned a lot as we have begun this journey of rehabbing. What we have done well is push fear aside and just try things. We have made mistakes but our failures will make us better when we try again. Sometimes the failures show us that we are not qualified or don't want to become qualified to do some jobs. If sharing our journey helps you then its worth it to me! The sad thing about this flip house is that I have spent so much time in this house that I am sad that I don't get to see it through to the decorative end. The many hours I spend painting or laying floor with the hubs, I have talked his ear off of how I would utilize the space. It is a small 1200 square feet but packed with character and I think you could pack it with function….that looks good of course. So, I will share with you a mood board for each room. Maybe someday the new owner will stumble upon this blog and get inspired for ideas. Or maybe they will have something much better in mind…probably so because its their space.
The Pic Above is the Before and After Pic of the Exterior. Here is the before of the Living Room: (where there is a bucket in the fireplace…that is never good. )
Here is the after:
Quite the difference huh? I will eventually post how I fixed that fireplace. It only took about $50.00 to transform it. It took a litte more moola to fix the leak, but not much. We added central heat and air so the air conditioner went “bye bye”. Here is a basic layout of how I would set the furniture.
The key to this space is to utilize as much space as you can but you can't choose furniture that is too bulky. Here is how I see it:
- You walk in the front door and instead of a console table next to the coat closet I placed two white bookshelves. I know its unconventional but the room needed something tall and statement like. Plus you could fill it with books, baskets and pics. You could even put a fun pop of color behind it by lining it with fabric. No where else could you fit a bookshelf in the room. On the hallway wall it would block the flow, there is not enough depth by the fireplace and it would be too crowded by the couch.
- Across from the pair of bookcases you have a console table. It cannot be bulky. It needs to be slim…an actual behind the couch table. Because the room lacks light I would put two lamps (smaller) on top of it and baskets underneath it for storage. You put a tray on top for keys and mail when you come it. (Trust me if you live here, the way you drive up you would always come in the back.)
- The couch cannot be big and bulky. I chose a Chaise sectional (loveseat Chaise), but to make it fit it needs to go all the way up to the wall. (leaving space for curtains and the floor vent to be unobstructed.) It needs to have slim lines. It can have curved arms but it cannot be oversized. You could do this with a regular sofa, but I think the chaise will make more sense up against the wall. You won't be able to utilize the space on the window wall with a couch pushed up against it so you might as well make it work for you. Ideally you would want to extend the hallway with your couch. The end of the couch should line up were your hall begins so you have one long hallway from the kitchen to the bedrooms. You can seat four people on a loveseat Chaise Combo. Plus if you add some comfy chairs to your dining table (right next door) you can pull those in for people to sit
- The Chair cannot be bulky. An Armless chair seems more open. You could choose a chair with smaller arms. The space only lends about 35 inches and 7 inches deep. I have staged it with a small chair and it looks good.
- If you want to have a big t.v. this is not the house for you. Well, you could have it but you would not notice anything else in the room. I chose a small t.v. table at an angle. You can't go for a high one because of the mantle. At an angle you could fit up to a 37 inch t.v…maybe even 40. Ours is 47 inches. It is plenty big for me.
Enough about the layout…here is the mood board. Maybe you could use this for a room in your house.
I will list where everything on this mood board is from but I also want to list other options to get products like it…if you don't have the store.
Mood Board Breakdown:
1. The Couch: Crate and Barrel, Troy Left Arm Chaise, in Metal. If money were not an option, Crate and Barrel is where I would buy my couch. The are so comfy and have great style. This could be worth saving for, but here are some other options that have better price options. Remember you spend most of your time in your house on your couch and bed. Don't skimp too much. You need good rest.
- HomeTown Furniture in Rogersville Mo has great stuff. You can a couch this style from Broyhill/Ashley and pic from hundreds of color swatches. My friend ordered a couch from here this exact style (chaise on the other side) and it reminds me of a crate and barrell counch. (plus free shipping to Bra
nson!) It's the perfect size too for this living room.
- Ikea – if you are near one…I would buy this Karlstad sofa or this Ektorp Sofa. (the sofa could be no longer than these)
- If you wanted one with arms this Clyborn Loft Chair from Target could work. Its small.
- If you could spend a little more this Chloe Chair is a great option from Crate and Barrel
- If you are like me, you find a small accent/armless chair on craigslist for $40.oo buy some fabric at a fabric warehouse for about $30.00 and reupholster it. No fears…you can do it.
3.) The BookCase
- Wal-Mart Mainstays, White. Target has a RE-Style version too. My bookshelves are Wal-Mart and they hold a ton and look great. for $25.oo a piece that aint bad. You can only buy these in the store but they are always there.
- If you want to go all the way up: Ikea has the Billy Bookcase with extensions and all different sizes
4.) TV Cabinet
- Ikea, mosjo, Black/brown
- Walmart and Target have great cheap options but they don't show them online. I would not drive 7-9 hours for this.
- Craigslist it/Thrift store it and paint it black. You could even put two nightstands together.
- This is a Jute Rug from Target. I love Jute rugs. They hide dirt and give the room texture. They are more durable and traffic friendly. You don't want an outdoor jute rug. You want an indoor one that is soft.
- Lowes has some in their store, Ikea has one as well
- The solid color ones are from Pier 1
- The red XO one is from Etsy seller. It's always fun to have something unique. If you can sew…make one!
- The flower one is from Target.
7.) Coffee Table
- Ikea, Leksvik Kids table. There are not tons of white, round tables. I think the round table will take the “boxiness” out of the room. I couldn't find any under $300.00!!!!! Ikea has this kids table for $50.00. It's the perfect diameter and height with storage underneath.
- Craigslist: You can shorten a round pub table/small eating table and paint it. You could also look at thrift store too.
8.) The Curtains/Window Treatments
- Horizontal Stripes make a room bigger. Plus the Black and White make a visual statement. This pic is a shower curtain at Wal-Mart. I couldn't find any online. You can make them. Here is a great tutorial, or look for Striped fabric at a fabric store.
- I love Bamboo shades. These are from Lowes, Style Selections. They give privacy but still let in light and they make a room more “homier”. They also give texture. You can find them at Wal-Mart and K-Mart . (here is the cheaper one at Kmart) too.
9.) Console Table
- Sears, Linon Home Decor. I can't tell from the pics but you don't want the console table to be higher than the couch.
- Craigslist and paint could do the trick. It does not have to have a shelf. Baskets can go on the floor.
- The Baskets are from Target.
- The lamps are from Target.
10.) The Mirror
- The mirror is from Target
- The Lanterns are from Ikea, but lanterns are everywhere…Walmart, Target, TJ Max. Get the biggest two you can get and spray them red.
Hope this gives you good ideas! Thanks for reading!