Remember a few weeks ago I posted about how I came home to this:
The Hubs ordered a new belt because the old one was shredded. I was thankful for the encouragement I got from a few readers! It made me feel so much better that there are risk takers out there like the Hubs. Today, the Hubs put it all back together and we put some clothes in to try it out.
Guess what…it works! I have my dryer back for $15! It for sure would have cost us $75 for just the visit and then probably another $200 on top of that.
I could never post a post on “how to” fix your dryer because we are not appliance fixers and 9 times out of 10…we will fail. Here is how the Hubs decided to take the plunge. Maybe his thought process can help you decide if you want to take the plunge.
- He went to Lowes and asked the employee there if he had any knowledge. Of course, they can’t diagnose it, but he did state “it sounds like your belt”. The drum was not turning and the employee’s suggestion confirmed what the Hubs was already thinking. That gave him a little confidence.
- The Hubs decided that since we paid $450 there was risk of paying $275 to fix it to have it break again…which usually happens. We didn’t want to pay for the machine twice. We might as well pay for a new one. If we are prepared to pay for a new one…then why not try?
- The Hubs took the dryer apart but took pictures of every step before he disassembled the dryer. He used these pictures to reassemble it.
- He downloaded the online manual for replacing the belt. We have done this many times for different appliances.
- He took a step of faith and I closed my eyes.
It may not work again but he took a risk…a calculated risk…and went for it and I am glad he did.
Thanks for reading,